21.5.0 ‘Callisto’ is the rollup of the last three months’ development. It does not contain the Microsoft Office 365 backup booster.
– The top-level administrator user accounts can now only log in to the Comet Server web interface at a non-Organization URL
– Feature: Support suspending an Organization
This has the effect of preventing all that organizations’ admin accounts and users from signing-in to the software. It’s useful to temporarily disable one of your resellers who haven’t paid their bill. // Link to Documentation
– Feature: Support advanced search queries when restoring files in the Comet Backup desktop app
You have long since been able to search by name, file size, and file modification time through your backed-up files. But now you can combine clauses, use AND/OR, brackets, regex search, starts-with/ends-with/contains, and much more with the power of the full query system.
This also plays into the enhancement: “Allow searching for backed-up files by object type, such as symlink / block device / EFS-encrypted file in the Comet Backup desktop app”. Often, users would discover they had backed up an EFS-encrypted file, but not know exactly where on their PC it was found from.
– Feature: Allow multiple admin users to have the same username if they belong to different Organizations
This allows “admin” to mean different accounts if they log in via a different Organization.
– Feature: Redesign restore dialog and job report’s ‘File’ tab to use two panes, improving performance for very large numbers of files
– Feature: Redesign Protected Item configuration to separate ‘Authentication’ and ‘Items’ tab (in the Comet Backup desktop app)
When you’re trying to back up a MySQL database, MSSQL database (and others), this new feature asks you to set up a valid connection before Comet goes to try and use it. There is also a “Test connection” button for many of these types.
– Feature: Allow supplying a custom *.icns branding image to use for the Menu Bar icon for the Comet Backup desktop app on macOS
As an MSP, if you are having trouble designing a single image that works for both the bright, vibrant application icon as well as the somber monochrome menu bar icon, there’s now an option to just upload two separate images. If you don’t supply one, the same icon will be used in both places, as before.
– Feature: Show the status of last/current Self-Backup jobs on the About This Server page in the Comet Server web interface
In the Comet Server web interface, on the “About this Server” page, you can now see the status of your last Server Self-backup job. You could always dig through the server log to find the same information, but this is a quick way to make sure there is a recent job and that were no problems with it.
– Feature: Support Comet Backup desktop application on Linux
We’ve long since supported running Comet Backup on Linux servers, and it could be remotely controlled by the web interface. We have now extended this to support the full desktop app on Linux, for all the Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, CentOS, KDE Neon, and other Linux desktop users out there. See documentation for details.
– Enhancement: Update Spanish translation
– Enhancement: Add warning for invalid syntax when entering a glob or regex exclusion in the Comet Server web interface
– Enhancement: Use cryptographic-strength randomness for random password suggestions in the Comet Server web interface
– Enhancement: Allow searching for backed-up files by object type, such as symlink / block device / EFS-encrypted file in the Comet Backup desktop app
– Enhancement: Allow sorting columns in the Restore dialog in the Comet Backup desktop app
– Enhancement: Compress older backup job logs inside the comet-jobs.db3 file, reducing file size
– Enhancement: Cosmetic redesign the SSH tunnel popup for MongoDB Protected Items to use standard Property Sheet style
– Enhancement: Prevent creating blank paths in the Mandatory File and Folder Exclusion policy section in the Comet Server web interface
– Enhancement: Improve performance of authenticating a large number of admin API requests
– Enhancement: Minor performance improvement for loading the Comet Server web interface, by reducing asset bundle sizes
– Enhancement: Minor performance improvement for the Comet Backup desktop app
– Enhancement: Minor performance improvements for uploading to Comet server Storage Role and SFTP storage vaults
– Enhancement: Minor performance improvement when loading any data-driven view in the Comet Backup desktop app
– Enhancement: Minor performance improvement for Storage Vaults using the Comet Server Storage Role network protocol
– Fix an issue with incorrect password in Constellation target being treated as a Comet Server with no roles enabled